This lesson will help you define stress, relax, unwind, sit back, cope, tension, stressed out and meditation.
(–) stress uncountable noun a worried or nervous feeling that stops you relaxing
- Worrying about his job has put him under great stress.
relax verb to stop work and become calm
- Find a good sheep and try to relax for half an hour.
unwind verb to start to relax after you have been working hard
- The beach is a great place to unwind.
sit back phrasal verb to relax and stop trying to do something
- Sit back and have a beer.
cope verb to deal successfully with a difficult situation
- The cat found it very difficult to cope with a bored owner.
(–) tension uncountable noun the feeling of being nervous or worried before an important or difficult event
- He tried to reduce the tension he felt by singing a song.
stressed out adjective affected by stress
- She can’t cope with the waiting, she is completely stressed out.
(–) meditation uncountable noun a quiet thought either as a religious activity or as a way of becoming calm and relaxed
- Meditation and yoga can help reduce stress and increase creativity.
Now watch the video lesson.