This lesson will help you define fear, phobia, panic, dread, mania, cold sweat, daunting, irrational and petrified.
(–) fear uncountable noun the feeling that you have when you are frightened
- I was able to beat my fear of the dark.
(a) phobia noun an extreme fear of something
- I have a phobia of owls that stops me going into the forest at night.
panic verb a sudden strong feeling of fear that stops normal thoughts and actions
- We were winning 2-1, but in the ninetieth minute I started to panic.
dread verb to feel very worried or frightened about something that is going to happen or that might happen
- I started to dread my visit to the hospital.
(a) mania noun a very strong interest in something when a person cannot think of anything else
- He has a mania about the woman next door.
(a) cold sweat singular noun extreme worry and fear that causes you to sweat although you feel cold
- When I think of spiders I break out in a cold sweat.
daunting adjective something that makes you worried because you think that it will be very difficult or dangerous to do
- The last part of the climb was daunting.
irrational adjective not logical or reasonable
- I have an irrational fear of rabbits.
petrified adjective extremely frightened and unable to move
- She is absolutely petrified of people wearing masks.
Now watch the video lesson.