This lesson will help you define ghost, spirit, spooky, demon, evil, haunted, phantom, poltergeist and guardian angel.
(a) ghost noun the spirit of a dead person, often shown as a transparent figure
- Do you believe that people come back as ghosts after they die?
(a) spirit noun the part of a person which many people believe lives after the body has died
- My dog died four years ago, but I feel her spirit with me when I go for a walk.
spooky adjective strange and frightening
- The forest is a spooky place early in the morning.
(a) demon noun an evil spirit
- My ex-girlfriend was a real demon.
evil adjective very bad or cruel
- That doll looks evil.
haunted adjective lived in by a ghost or spirit
- My cellar is haunted – it is full of spirits.
(a) phantom noun another word for ghost
- Phantom or ghost, what’s the difference – RUN!
(a) poltergeist noun a spirit that makes loud noises and throws objects around a room
- Our new neighbour must be a poltergeist. I have never seen him, but I keep hearing strange noises coming from the bedroom.
(a) guardian angel noun a friendly spirit that helps or protects a person
- I think that my guardian angel has abandoned me. Otherwise we wouldn’t have fallen down this hole.
Now watch the video lesson.