This cults 1 vocabulary lesson will help you use the words cult, sect, messiah, bizarre, psychological, individuality and apocalyptic, correctly.
(a) cult noun a religious group, especially one with beliefs that most people consider strange or dangerous
- The cult of the goddess Minerva.
(a) sect noun a small religious group that came from a larger group and is considered to have extreme or unusual beliefs
- She joined some strange sect – the Bacchus. Now she spends all day drinking wine.
(a) messiah noun a leader who people believe will save them from trouble or difficult situations
- Our leader is the one true messiah and will save us from evil.
bizarre adjective very strange and unusual
- During their meetings they wear some bizarre masks.
psychological adjective involving or affecting the human mind
- A cult can have a huge psychological effect on its members.
(–) individuality uncountable noun the things that make someone or something different from all others
- Sects do not allow individuality.
apocalyptic adjective describing the end of the world
- Their leader has been describing an apocalyptic future.
Now watch the video lesson and then do the cults 1 vocabulary exercise