Big letters are called capital letters. Use them in the following places:
The first letter of the first word of a sentence.
- Today’s story is…
The first letter of the first word in a reported sentence.
- John said, ‘Where have you…‘
Names of countries, places, languages, and nationalities.
- Australia, Berlin, German, Italian.
Titles that come before people’s names.
- Doctor, Mrs.
Names of religions, followers and holy books.
- Roman Catholic Church, Muslim, The Bible.
Days of the week, months of the year, and holidays.
- Friday, May, Easter.
The first and main words in titles.
- The History of the Motor Car.
Names of organisations.
- Automobile Association, Liverpool Supporters Club.
Periods in history and events.
- The Middle Ages, The French Revolution.
Names of businesses.
- Gary Skyner Dot Com.
- RSPCA, BBC.