Normal numbers are 1, one, 2, two, 3, three, etc, are called cardinal numbers. They are used for counting.
- I’d like three coffees, please.
- The Great Fire was about 400 years ago.
The next group of numbers are called ordinal numbers. They are used to show the order of something.
- She came second in the competition.
- The woman was in her sixth month of pregnancy.
- Today it is 26th February.
- I have a meeting with two people from the ninth floor.
- There are four kittens. Who will be the first to finish eating?