This mafia vocabulary lesson will help you use the words the Mafia, gangster, violent, contract, underworld, Mafioso, the Mob, racket and organised crime, correctly.
The Mafia noun a criminal organisation that began in Sicily and now is also in Italy and America
- Sergio has been a member of the Mafia in Sicily since 1994.
(a) gangster noun a member of an organised group of criminals
- Ronnie is a gangster and has been robbing banks since he joined the Kray gang in 1959.
violent adjective used to describe a situation or event in which people are hurt or killed
- Gangsters can be violent men who commit violent crimes.
(a) contract noun an agreement when someone is paid to kill another person
- Gianni had spoken to the police. Now there was a contract for his death.
(the) underworld noun the world of criminals and organised crime
- The underworld is a mysterious place most people don’t see.
(a) mafioso noun a member of the Mafia
- Paolo joined the Mafia in the 1970s and was now a senior mafioso.
The Mob noun another name for the American Mafia
- The Mob control a lot of the casinos in New York.
(a) racket noun an illegal activity that makes money
- Dino was involved in every type of racket you could imagine – drugs, guns, everything.
(an) organised crime noun crimes that are planned and controlled by a large powerful secret organisation
- Money laundering is a global organised crime requiring expert knowledge of financial systems.
Now watch the video lesson and then do the mafia vocabulary exercise