This lesson will help you define the arts, artist, art gallery, work of art, culture, literature, sculptor and masterpiece.
(–) the arts plural noun painting, music, film, theatre, and dance, thought about as one subject
- The arts add colour to our lives.
(an) artist noun someone who makes art
- He is an artist who paints what he feels – I think he has problems at the moment.
(an) art gallery noun a building where people can see art
- She often sits in the art gallery for hours, looking at one picture.
(a) work of art noun something made by an artist using great skill
- Her latest work of art is difficult to describe.
(–) culture uncountable noun the music, art, theatre, literature, etc, of a country
- Chinese culture seems to have a lot of dragons in it.
(–) literature uncountable noun written art
- Great literature shouldn’t be left on a shelf, it should be read.
(a) sculptor noun an artist who uses stone, metal or wood to create works of art
- A great sculptor can create something warm from cold stone.
(a) masterpiece noun a very good work of art
- The Lovers is one of René Magritte’s greatest masterpieces.
Now watch the video lesson.