This lesson will help you define dead, bury, grave, suicide, corpse, cemetery, terminal, extinct, afterlife and posthumous.
dead adjective not alive
- The firemen found three dead bodies in the house.
bury verb to put a dead body into the ground
- He was buried next to his wife.
(a) grave noun a place in the ground where a dead person is buried
- He visits his mother’s grave every year.
(a) suicide noun the act of killing yourself deliberately
- Life is so bad here that there is one suicide every week.
(a) corpse noun the body of a dead person
- His corpse lay undiscovered for three weeks.
(a) cemetery noun an area of land where dead people are buried
- All the family are buried in the same cemetery.
terminal adjective a terminal illness will not get better and will cause someone to die
- She has terminal cancer.
extinct adjective if an animal is extinct all of them are dead
- The dodo became extinct in 1662.
(the) afterlife singular noun life after death
- The Terracotta Army was built to protect the emperor in his afterlife.
posthumous adjective something happening after a person’s death
- He was given a posthumous award for his work with computers.
Now watch the video lesson.