This lesson will help you define postcard, tour, day-trip, border, scenery, connection, landmark, excursion and jet lag.
(a) postcard noun a small card that you write on one side of and send to someone in the post. It has a picture on it and is sent from a place you are visiting
- I promise I will send you a postcard when I arrive.
(a) tour noun travelling to several places in an area for pleasure
- Next week I will start my 15-day tour of Iran.
(a) day trip noun a journey that you make for pleasure in which you go to a place and come back on the same day
- While I was on Iceland I took a day trip to see the aura borealis.
(a) border noun the line that divides two countries or areas
- The border between North and South Korea is not the safest place on earth.
(–) scenery noun natural things such as trees, mountains, and lakes that you can see in a particular place
- In Asia, the scenery is very… green.
(a) connection noun when you arrive by train, bus, or plane at a place and then change to a different train, bus, or plane and continue your journey
- My plane leaves Bangkok at 10:25. Then I have a connection in Kuala Lumpur that will take me to Jakarta.
(a) landmark noun a famous building or object that you can see easily
- The Eiffel Tower is the most famous landmark in Paris. You can see it from everywhere in the city.
(an) excursion noun a short journey by a group of people made for pleasure
- I was the only person on the excursion to the top of the tower.
(–) jet lag noun extreme tiredness felt by a person after a long flight across different time zones
- I always feel very tired after a flight from Europe to Asia – I guess it must be jet lag.
Now watch the video lesson.