This lesson will help you define studio, flat, cottage, detached house, terraced house, semi-detached house, kennel, bungalow, mansion and penthouse.
(a) studio noun a small flat that has only one main room
- My first flat was a studio – only 12 square metres.
(a) flat noun some rooms for living in that are part of a larger building and are usually all on one floor
- My next flat was bigger and on the second floor.
(a) cottage noun a small house in the countryside
- Then I moved to a small cottage with a lovely garden.
(a) detached house noun a house that is not joined to another house
- After that I bought a detached house with a bigger garden.
(a) terraced house noun a row of similar houses joined together on both sides
- Now I live in a terraced house. Fortunately, I have quiet neighbours.
(a) semi-detached house noun a house joined to another house on one side
- If you live in a semi-detached house you hope for good neighbours.
(a) kennel noun a small house for a dog
- They share a lovely wooden kennel.
(a) bungalow noun a low house that is all on one level
- For sale: one bungalow with four bedrooms, a pond and 12 ducks.
(a) mansion noun a very large, expensive house
- They live in the white mansion on the hill.
(a) penthouse noun a large, expensive flat at the top of a tall building
- His penthouse has a fantastic view over the city.
Now watch the video lesson.