This lesson will help you define phone, answer, pick up, hang up, cut off, call back, dial, country code, engaged tone and tinkle.
phone verb to contact someone by telephone
- I am trying to phone her but there is no answer.
answer verb to pick up a phone when you hear it ringing
- You relax, I will answer it.
pick up phrasal verb to answer a telephone
- Somebody please pick up the phone, I’m busy.
hang up phrasal verb to end a phone conversation
- Before you hang up I want to tell you something.
cut off phrasal verb when a phone connection stops working
- We got cut off before I could tell her.
call back phrasal verb to telephone someone again, or to telephone someone who telephoned you earlier
- I have to go out now, but I will call you back tonight.
dial verb to choose the numbers you want on your phone so you can phone someone
- I keep dialling the wrong number.
(a) country code noun the numbers at the beginning of a phone number that you need to phone someone outside your country
- The UK country code is 44.
(an) engaged tone noun the noise you hear on your phone when the person you are trying to phone is phoning someone else
- I have been trying to phone her for an hour, but all I get is the engaged tone.
(a) tinkle noun a telephone call
- Give me a tinkle next week.
Now watch the video lesson.