This lesson will help you define astrology, prediction, interpret, astronomy, physician, prophet, astronomer, psychic and prophecy.
(–) astrology uncountable noun looking at the stars and planets and how they influence a person’s character and life
- He thinks astrology will tell him if he will have a good day or not.
(a) prediction noun saying what you think will happen in the future
- A disaster was the prediction for 2012.
interpret verb to change what someone is saying into another language
- Is it possible to interpret this old text?
(–) astronomy uncountable noun the scientific study of the stars and planets
- Astronomy is best studied at night.
(a) physician noun a medical doctor
- He has been my physician since I was a baby.
(a) prophet noun a person who predicts what will happen in the future
- Nostradamus was a prophet from the 16th century.
(an) astronomer noun someone who studies astronomy
- Astronomers have decided that Pluto is too small to be called a planet.
(a) psychic noun a person having a special ability so that they know what will happen in the future or know what people are thinking
- I could feel something was going to happen – I must be a psychic!
(a) prophecy noun a prediction of what will happen in the future
- Many Mayan prophecies were carved into stone.
Now watch the video lesson.