This Nostradamus vocabulary lesson will help you use the words astrology, prediction, interpret, astronomy, physician, prophet, astronomer, psychic and prophecy, correctly.
(–) astrology uncountable noun looking at the stars and planets and how they influence a person’s character and life
- He thinks astrology will tell him if he will have a good day or not.
(a) prediction noun saying what you think will happen in the future
- A disaster was the prediction for 2012.
interpret verb to change what someone is saying into another language
- Is it possible to interpret this old text?
(–) astronomy uncountable noun the scientific study of the stars and planets
- Astronomy is best studied at night.
(a) physician noun a medical doctor
- He has been my physician since I was a baby.
(a) prophet noun a person who predicts what will happen in the future
- Nostradamus was a prophet from the 16th century.
(an) astronomer noun someone who studies astronomy
- Astronomers have decided that Pluto is too small to be called a planet.
(a) psychic noun a person having a special ability so that they know what will happen in the future or know what people are thinking
- I could feel something was going to happen – I must be a psychic!
(a) prophecy noun a prediction of what will happen in the future
- Many Mayan prophecies were carved into stone.
Now watch the video lesson and then do the Nostradamus vocabulary exercise