For adjectives with one or two syllables add -er to the end.
- A dog is slower than a cat.
(slow – one syllable)
For adjectives with two syllables and ending in -y, change the -y to -i, and add -er.
- Gary is funnier than John.
(fun-ny – two syllables – ending in -y)
For adjectives with three or more syllables use more + adjective.
- This year will be more exciting than last year.
(ex-ci-ting – three syllables)
- The sky is bluer than yesterday.
- Gary’s lessons are easier to understand.
- The mountain will be more dangerous now it is snowing.